Understanding the Challenges of Skilled Trade Technicians
Skilled trade technicians today face an array of challenges that significantly hamper their productivity and efficiency. In many cases, technicians find themselves grappling with back orders, long lead times, and difficulty sourcing equivalent parts when original items are unavailable. This not only delays work order completion but also results in substantial productivity loss and poor time management.
- Skilled labor shortages: The persistent issues in parts sourcing are compounded by a pervasive shortage in skilled labor. More than ever, businesses need a robust solution to ensure their facilities and stores continue to operate seamlessly.
- Integrated parts management: The solution lies in integrated parts management (IPM), an approach that unifies people, processes, and technology to optimize parts sourcing and inventory management.
The Impact of Integrated Parts Management on Work Orders
- Increased productivity: By shouldering the burden of parts sourcing, IPM allows technicians to focus on their tasks, leading to an increase in their productivity and efficiency.
- Reduced downtime: Delays in completing work orders often result in equipment downtime, which directly translates into financial losses for businesses. IPM helps to prevent these delays by actively mitigating the root causes of parts sourcing issues, improving supply chain visibility and control.
How Technical Parts Support Enhances Technician Enablement
SDI’s Technical Parts Support Team plays a pivotal role in enhancing the efficiency and flow of communication between technical and non-technical teams. Comprising of former technicians and experienced professionals, the team fills the communication void that often exists between these two groups, helping translate technical jargon into terms that non-technical teams can easily understand. This is particularly important in work order management, as it fosters better understanding and communication among all stakeholders involved in the process. Read more: Overcoming eProcurement Adoption Challenges in Maintenance Operations.
Tools for Streamlined Supply Chain Transparency
- Tech Vault: A digital library of manuals, parts lists, and other technical data that technicians can access instantly. The Technical Parts Support Team continuously updates and organizes the Tech Vault, ensuring its relevance and accuracy.
- Forms: These allow for sharing of unique information with suppliers, ensuring accuracy and reducing the need for guesswork. For example, when ordering a part, technicians can fill out a form that automatically populates the required fields, ensuring suppliers have all the information they need to fulfill the order.
At the core of SDI’s operations is the drive to streamline processes, enhance productivity, and bridge the gap between technicians and suppliers. By focusing on efficiency and robust communication, businesses can effectively navigate the challenges of skilled labor shortages and ensure seamless operations of their facilities.